November 15, 2009
Probably, the choice of an anti-aging doctor is one of the most important decisions a patient can make. Here are some general questions:
1. How long have you been in practice?
2. How many patients are in your practice?
3.What are the differences between a traditional family doctor and an anti-aging doctor?
4. What are the benefits of seeing an anti-aging doctor?
5. Should an anti-aging doctor be specialized in Internal Medicine or some other subspecialty?
6. What advice should an anti-aging doctor give the consumer?
7. Will anti-aging doctors network with each other and with my family doctor?
8. What supporting services should an anti-aging doctor (or their staff) provide for me? (e.g., nutrition plan, exercise/fitness plan, supplements).
2. What questions should a consumer ask a candidate doctor in order to distinguish a true anti-aging physician from an ordinary physician without credentials in this specialty?
Before settling on an anti-aging physician, interview at least three doctors. Use a 10- point scale to evaluate each one and take notes. Then decide who may be best for you. Ask the potential anti-aging physician the following 20 questions:
1. Tell me about the relation between telomeres and aging.
2. Who is Leonard Hayflick? And what is the Hayflick Limit?
3. What is the difference between iPS Stem Cells and others and discuss the new types of Stem Cells non-embryonically derived.
4. In what way is Leroy Hood important to anti-aging and the Human Genome project completed by Craig Venter and Francis Collins.
5. The first human Genome was done of which person?
6. Why are SNP's (Single Nucleotitde Polymorphisms) important to anti-aging?
7. What is the Epigenome and why is this important?
8. How can you transfer genes to alter a person's defective genes. What are the current methods that were recently successfully reported?
9. What do animal and other species data show regarding the deletion of the IGF-1/Insulin Signaling Pathway?
10. Can hGH help you to live longer?
11. Tell me about Supercentenarians. Optional: What do their organs usually look like at autopsy?
12. Who is the longest living person on record?
13. Why is the SIRTUIN gene-family important?
14. Which method of life extension is the most time proven in many species?
15. How would you treat Obstructive Sleep Apnea?
16. What are the top five vitamin supplements you would recommend?
17. How would you treat a patients with an addictive personality?
(b) Alcohol [Rx: Naloxone?]
( c) Gambling
18. How would you treat decreased libido with age?
(a) For males with Erectile Dysfunction (Cialis [Tadalafil], Levitra [Vardenafil], Viagra [Sildenafil])?
(b) For females, When is testosterone and/or DHEA 50 mg qd indicated?
20. Fitness Program
1. Dr. Stanley Frileck, M.D., F.A.C.S.,
Brentwood Medical Plaza
11980 San Vicente Blvd., Suite 110
Los Angeles, CA 90049
2. Dr. Karlis Ullis, M.D., Medical Director
Sports Medicine, Anti-Aging, and Preventive Medical Group
2701 Ocean Park Blvd., Suite 101
Santa Monica, CA 90405
3. Dr. Steven M. Kaye, M.D., Executive Director
Integrative Balance Program
Lifeline Balance Center
2811 Wilshire Blvd., Suite 785
Santa Monica, CA 90403
Telephone: 310 828-1522
4. Dr. Arnold Fox, M.D.
5757 Wilshire Boulevard, Suite 347
Beverly Hills, CA 90036
Telephone: 323-931-7060; Home: 818-346-4017
FAX: 323-938-3297 (send FAX to Amanda)
Tune in on Sunday's from 6-7 PM to KKLA 99.5 FM for "Dr. Fox, M.D." Radio Talk Show on Health and Nutrition
5. Lord Lee-Benner, M.D., F.A.C.E., Director
The Lee-Benner Institute
4121 Westerly Place, Suite 204
Newport Beach, CA 92660
Fellow of the American College of Endocrinology
Diplomat of the American Board of Psychiatry and Neurology
6. Dr. Murray R. Susser, M.D.
2730 Wilshire Blvd., Suite 110
Santa Monica, CA 90403
Integrative Balance Program Telephone: 310-453-4424
7. Dr. Chris Renna, D.O.
The Renna Clinics in Dallas, Texas and Beverly Hills, California
2706 Fairmount Street
Dallas, TX 75201
Home FAX: 214-346-9038
New California Address and Telephone Numbers:
160 South Lasky Drive
Beverly Hills, CA 90212
Click here for a copy of Dr. Renna's latest Newsletter.
8. Dr. Joseph Filbeck, M.D.,
The Longevity Life Extension Institute
31850 Village Center Road
Westlake Village, CA 91361
1. Dr. Philip Lee Miller, M.D.
The Los Gatos Longevity Institute
15215 National Avenue, Suite 103
Los Gatos, CA 95032
2. Dr. Sara Bunting, M.D.
853 Middlefield Road
Palo Alto, California
3. Dr. Edgar A. Suter, M.D.
5201 Norris Canyon Road, Suite 220
San Ramon, California 94583-5404
1. GENOX Corp.
1414 Key Highway
Baltimore, Maryland 21230
Dr. Richard Cutler, formerly President of Genox, has moved to Phoenix, Arizona to work with The Aurora Foundation and The Kronos Institute.
2. Dr. Charles Thomas, Jr.,
Director of Research
4622 Santa Fe Street
San Diego, CA 92109
Pantox offers an excellent blood test for the
assessment of antioxidant status. The Pantox Antioxidant Profile measures Vitamin C, Vitamin
E (alpha and gamma), Vitamin A, Carotene (alpha, beta, and lycopene), Co-Enzyme Q-10, Uric
Acid, Billirubin, Iron (serum ferritin, TIBC, percent saturation, and available binding capacity),
cholesterol, triglycerides, and lipoprotein fractions (HDL, LDL, and apo-B). Call Pantox to have
a collection kit with full instructions sent to your doctor.
3. SpectraCell Laboratories
515 Post Oak Blvd., Suite 830
Houston, TX 77027
Telephone: 713-621-3101; 1-800-227-5227
($425 for profile of 19 nutrients and $500 for antioxidants)
SpectraCell's Essential Metabolic Analysis (EMA) measures changes in cell growth rates in response to nutritional challenges as an indicator of nutritional status. Their Spectrox test measures cellular resistance to oxidative stress. E-mail: firstname.lastname@example.org ; URL: http://www.spectracell.com
4. Aeron Lifecycles
1933 Davis Street, Suite 310
San Leandro, CA 94577
5. Diagnos-Techs, Inc.
Clinical and Research Laboratory
6620 South 192nd Place, J-104
Kent, WA 98032
6. Great Smokies Diagnostic Laboratory
18 A. Regent Park Blvd.
Asheville, NC 28806
7. National Biotech Laboratory
13758 Lake City Way, N. E.
Seattle, WA 98125
8. Liberty Testing Laboratory
Brooklyn, New York
9. MetaMetrix, Inc.
5000 Peachtree Industrial Blvd., Suite 100
Norcross, GA 30071
A broad-spectrum medical testing company. In addition to standard blood tests, they test plasma vitamins amino acids and lipid peroxidases, red blood cell minerals and fatty acids, and urine organic acids. The test bundle for Down's Syndrome is called the ION panel. Call 770- 446-5483; FAX: 770-441-2237.
We are sad to report that Dr. Chris Heward passed away of cancer earlier this year...
10. Dr. Christopher B. Heward,
Vice President for Research and Development
The Kronos Group
4455 East Camelback Road, Suite B200
Phoenix, AZ 85018-2864
Vice President and Research Director
Emerald Laboratories, Inc.
20611 South Belshaw Avenue
Carson, CA 90746
FAX: 310-537-6360 and
Anti-Aging Clinical Group
3246 Sepulveda Blvd., Suite 203
Torrance, CA 90505